Class of 2020 Graduation Updates: Yard Signs and Staff Video:
By now each and every one of you should have received your celebratory yard sign. We delivered them to the address you provided or the one listed in PowerSchool if we didn't hear from you. If for some reason you did not receive your yard sign, please email Ms. Hatch and Ms. Jones ASAP and we will make arrangements to get one to you. You were also emailed a video put together by the TCS staff on Saturday, May 16th. We hope you enjoyed it!Caps and Gowns:
We have had a series of shipping issues with the caps and gowns. At this time we have some of what we ordered for you all, but not everything. We are working with the supplier to get this resolved, and will get your caps and gowns to you as soon as we possibly can. Senior Portrait:
Portrait submissions are still being accepted, but as the deadline was Friday, May 15th we need this information ASAP. Please email your picture, favorite color, and a word of affirmation to [email protected]
Submissions to Mr. Spackman ([email protected]
) are being accepted until this Thursday, May 21st.Video Commencement Ceremony and Diploma Delivery:
We are still on track to share a commencement video and deliver diplomas on Saturday, June 13th. Stay tuned for more information about this!
For additional information on any of these components of graduation, please see the attached letter we shared a few weeks ago.
Dear Parents and Caregivers of the Class of 2020:
Due to the COVID-19 situation and Stay at Home order here in Ohio, this year’s graduation festivities will have to look a lot different than in the past. We want to share that our TCS community share your frustrations and are very sad to be unable to celebrate all of the accomplishments of this class in the typical manner. We are however doing our very best to make this a special time for your graduate. All of the details for activities surrounding graduation are listed below.
Many of the planned items below still require student feedback and information. Please be sure to pay close attention to information that we may still need from your student in order to pull off a safe and socially distant graduation celebration.
Graduation Fee: We are no longer accepting the graduation fee of $100. If you already paid this fee to TCS, please reach out for a refund of this money.
Caps and Gowns: We are currently still waiting for caps and gowns to be delivered. Students should expect to receive their caps and gowns during the week of May 11th-15th, and these will be delivered by a TCS staff member taking all safety precautions.
- Each bag contains one black gown, one cap, and one gold tassel. Please remove the gown from the bag to let the wrinkles release before taking pictures! Hanging the gown in the bathroom during a shower is a great way to release the wrinkles.
- White cord: this cord is for students who have met the Ohio Department of Education requirements for an honors diploma. All students have had their records checked to confirm if they will meet the criteria for this cord, and those who have met it will receive this cord.
After caps and gowns are received, we ask that you take a picture of your student and have them submit it via text or email to Ms. Hatch and Ms. Jones. We will be using this for the commencement ceremony video.
Celebratory Yard Signs: We are currently waiting to pick these up from a local sign maker. Students will be receiving a “Class of 2020” yard sign to be delivered by a TCS staff member along with the caps and gowns during the week of May 11th-15th.
Video from TCS Staff: The Charles School staff is putting together a celebratory video to be sent out and posted on May 16th, the day of our originally planned commencement ceremony.
Program: Students were asked to complete and submit an electronic worksheet, along with two photos, to be included in the graduation program. The list of information has been sent out via email multiple times. It is a keepsake item for the graduates, and we think this is even more important this year. If your student has not yet submitted this information to Mr. Spackman, please be sure they send this in by May 21st at the very latest. At this time the program will go to the printer and will not be able to be edited.
Video Commencement Ceremony: Once students have received their caps and gowns, please send Ms. Hatch and Ms. Jones a picture of them in their graduation attire by May 21st. This will be included in a commencement ceremony video to be sent out on Saturday, June 13th. More details and an invitation will be forthcoming.
Senior Portraits: TCS will be providing one of a kind, hand painted portraits to each member of the graduating class. See the flyer attached for more information and submission details.
Diploma Delivery: Diplomas and other celebratory goodies will be delivered by TCS staff members on June 13th.
GRADUATION EVENTS, DATES, and CHECKLIST
- Friday, May 8th: Last day for graduating seniors on track to graduate.
- Week of May 11th-15th: Yard signs and caps and gowns delivered to student homes.
- Saturday, May 16th: Staff video sent out to student email addresses and posted to TCS website and social media.
- Thursday, May 21st: Last day for senior grades to be completed to participate in virtual graduation.
- Saturday, June 13th: Commencement video sent to student email addresses and posted to TCS website and social media, and diplomas delivered to student homes.
Graduation Submission Checklist
- Send in Senior Portrait submissions by May 15th (see flyer attached).
- Complete all coursework in required classes by May 21st.
- Submit program information to Mr. Spackman by May 21st.
- Send Ms. Hatch and Ms. Jones a picture of you in your cap and gown by May 21st.
Lydia Jones can be reached via email at [email protected], Jane Hatch can be reached via email at [email protected], and Allie Konet can be reached via email at [email protected]. All three can be reached by phone by calling the main office of The Charles School at 614-258-8588 and leaving a voicemail.